What is CAT?
CAT is an online computer-based test which is conducted in the last week of December every year for admission in MBA/PGDM programs at the various IIM, IIT, NITs and many other Government and private institutions located in India. Common Admission Test (CAT) is a national level examination managed by the IIMs (Indian Institutes of Management) on a rotational basis. CAT 2019 is scheduled for two shifts, however, it depends upon the number of applicants. The syllabus will be based on the fundamentals of 10+2 curriculum. CAT 2019 exam will be held on Sunday in November 2019. Registration starts in August 2019.
CAT exam 2019 important dates
- CAT notification will be announced on: July 2019
- Registration Date: August, 2019
- Registration end date: September end (5:00pm)
- Admit card download window: October End, 2019 – November End, 2019
- CAT exam date: November End, 2019
- CAT Exam Results: Second week of January 2020
What all comprises of the CAT 2019 syllabus?
CAT 2019 shall cover 3 sections, namely:
- Verbal Ability
- Reading Comprehension (VARC)
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI & LR)
- Quantitative Ability (QA).
Let us see what all each section contains:
- Quantitative Ability (QA): CAT 2019 exam will have Quantitative Ability (QA) as one of its main sections which give the impression to be the favourite of the exam setters. It seems as if over 50% of paper setting efforts is devoted to Quantitative sections. Topics like Geometry; Trigonometry; Probability; Number System- GCD, LCM, Divisibility, Base System, The Remainder Theorem; Permutation & Combination; Speed; Time and Distance; etc will be covered.
- Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DI & LR):Topics covered under this section are: Tables; Graphical Representations; Charts and any diagrammatical Representation- Bar Charts, Pie Charts, Cases, X-Y Charts involving Line Series etc. aspirants should take a cognizance of the logical views of professional teachers that in CAT 2019, Data interpretation questions will be analytics based. The game changer to excel Data interpretation in CAT 2019 will be your ability to link the correct data and root out unnecessary data.
- Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC):Topics covered under this section include: Critical Reasoning; Paragraph Forming; Grammar; Vocabulary- Synonyms, Antonyms, Odd Man Out, Analogies; Reading Comprehension etc.
CAT registration process:
- CAT registration form and process will be online as no offline registration facility will be available to aspirants
- The online registration will be open from august 2019.
- The CAT 2019 application form will also be part of the CAT 2019 registration from.
- After the completion of CAT 2019 exam online, the respective IIMs shall send the candidates their respective registration IDs.
- The Registration form will require the aspirants to upload their Academic Details, upload their Photograph, their scanned Signature, and category certificates, as per the formats for CAT 2019, prescribed by the IIMs.
- Online Application Form for CAT 2019, will consist of Programme details on all the 20 IIMs. The aspirants filling up the CAT 2019 Online Application, shall have to check mark the relevant Programmes of the IIMs, that they are interested in.
- The Registration Fee for the General Category was INR 1800, and for the Reserved Category was INR 900. As mentioned above there will be no provision for offline payment of registration fees.
- If by chance the aspirant makes some error in filling up of the form, he/she shall have to reapply as the error cannot be rectified.
- The number of students applying for CAT 2019 is expected to rise as compared to CAT 2017 in which 2.31lakh students had registered.
Some important to take into consideration while applying for CAT 2019 online
- The candidate must log on to the official website for CAT 2019: https://iimcat.ac.in
- The candidate shall then register with a valid Email ID and Phone Number.
- The IIMs will then send them their Login Credentials to the candidates, through mail or SMS.
Online Application Form, which has the following areas to be filled up:
- Personal Details
- Contact Details
- Academic Details
- Work Experience
- Selection of IIMs to apply for
- Selecting the Test Centres and the Interview Cities
- It is advisable for the candidates to review the Application Form, once it is filled up, and then upload the necessary documents, with the form, which include:
- A scanned copy of the Candidate’s Photograph, in the jpeg format
- A scanned copy of the Candidate’s Signature, in the jpeg format (The candidates should make sure that the Photograph and the Signature are clear and appropriate.)
CAT 2019 Admit Card
Admit Card is a highly mandatory and important document to be carried by the candidate to the Examination Hall, during the exam day of CAT 2019. CAT 2019 Admit Card will be issued by the IIMs, on the official CAT 2019 website, and no hard copy of the Admit Card will be sent to any candidate. The admit card will be available for download till the exam day. The admit card will be released in the last week of October.
The candidate should review all the data in the admit card before downloading and take a printout and preserve it till the exam day.
The following details hall be there in the admit card:
- Candidate name
- Examination date of the CAT 2019
- Students registration number/user ID
- candidate’s address of the CAT Exam 2019 Test Centre.
The aspirant should also carry an ID proof to the examination hall and must report to the examination hall 90minutes before at the examination hall.
CAT 2019 eligibility
- candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in any discipline, securing a minimum of 50% marks, or equivalent CGPA
- Candidates belonging to the categories of Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), and Differently Abled (DA), need only 45% marks.
- Final year Graduation students can also apply for CAT 2019. If selected, these students shall be allowed to join the Programme provisionally, provided, he/she submits a certificate from the Principal/Registrar of the College, stating that the candidate has fulfilled all the requirements of obtaining the Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent qualification on the date of the issue of the certificate.
- The candidate must also maintain and declare a valid and unique email ID and a phone number, throughout the selection process
CAT 2019 marking scheme
Every correct answer will reward the candidate with 3 marks, and every incorrect MCQ type question will penalize the candidate with 1 mark. There is no negative marking for the Non MCQ type questions. For every unattempted question, no marks will be awarded.