Well, VIT doesn’t disclose your score in every subject. Percentile of each of your subject is computed together to form an overall percentile in general. Let’s understand this in detail:
Understanding VITEEE rank:
- Understanding VITEEE exam:VITEEE exam is a Computer Based Test (CBT) that is held in centers spread across the country and also abroad. Questions are based on the specified syllabus from the links given above.
When it comes to VITEEE Exam Pattern, candidates have options to attempt papers in either:
- Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English (PCM variant)
- Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English (PCB variant)
The above selection has to be done at the time of slot booking itself. Candidates who attempt the PCM variant of the exam are eligible for all the B. Tech Programs offered at the university. Candidates attempting PCB variant are eligible for B. Tech. in Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology, Computer Science and Engineering (with specialization in Bioinformatics available).
Duration of the exam is for 2 hours 30 minutes conducted in 3 slots on each day. The sessions are:
- Session 1: 9:00 am to 11:30 am
- Session 2: 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm
- Session 3: 4:00 pm to 6:30 pm
Paper is a Multiple Choice Question Paper. It consists of 125 questions in each of the PCM and PCB formats.
120 questions of PCM/PCB format. (40 Questions each from Physics/Chemistry/Mathematics/Biology) and 5 questions of English. There is NO NEGATIVE MARKING for wrong answers.
Since this exam does not contain any negative marks, it is advisable that the candidate try to guess the closest plausible answers to questions which they don’t exactly know the answer to.
- Preparation tips for VITEEE exam 2019:
- Stick to the syllabus: Refer to the syllabus for VITEEE 2019 examination and make sure you thoroughly cover each topic, but there is no need to go beyond that. Prepare a study plan dividing all the topics and finish all the topics you have assigned in this plan on a daily / weekly basis.
- Be thorough with your basics: Most of the question in such examinations are asked with the motive of testing the basics of the students sitting for the examination. The more you read about a concept, the more you realize how each and every concept is applied to different questions.
- Making short notesis your quickest way of scoring the well in your exam. You can make flashcards, posters, or micro note. All formulae should definitely make it to your wall. Somewhere visible to you always, our photogenic memory is quite strong too. You can’t go through the entire theory during shorter or longer revisions. Whenever you finish a topic, make sure to collect your thoughts and form pointers, important formulae, derivations and equations that are important. Don’t scramble notes on your practice book. Make a separate book for your VITEEE exam notes. Point is when you do go back to these notes for revision, they should help you go over the chapters in a glimpse instead of confusing you further.
- Know your strengths and weaknesses:Your preparation is strictly governed by self-analysis. Knowing your weaknesses allows you to work on your weak concepts, so ask doubts and probe further into concepts.
- Familiarize with the online environment: VITEEE 2019 will be an online computer based test. Familiarizing yourself with online environment and solving the paper under a computerized clock becomes customary. Solve as many sample papers and mock tests as you can to do crack VITEEE.
- Revision notes:Lastly, make proper notes of concepts that require regular revision. These could be mathematical formulae or important chemical reactions; basically, anything that is important and is expected to be remembered for the exam.
- If you need an idea of how your VITEEE rank will fair in your cut-offs, we have the last years cut-offs. Last year’s VITEEE rank cut-offs:
Following is the eligibility criterion as mentioned on the official website of VIT for 2018:
- VITEEE rank holders between 1 to 99999 were eligible to attend the counseling for admission in Vellore / Chennai/Bhopal (MP) / VIT-AP.
- VITEEE-2018 Rank holders 100000 and ABOVE were not eligible for admission in Vellore / Chennai / VIT-AP.
- For VIT- Bhopal: VITEEE-2018 Rank holders up to 150000 were eligible to attend the counseling for admission in Bhopal (MP). The date of counseling for Rank holders between 100000 to 150000 (only for Bhopal, MP) will be announced in due course.
- How is VITEEE rank calculated?
VITEEE exam rank calculation is a mathematical process. There’s a process called normalization. This ensures that students who have taken different kinds of test can be compared. You know, so no one is comparing apples and oranges for your rank computation. Based on the general level of difficulty, a certain weight is given to all kinds of tests students who appear for VITEEE generally give- State board, CBSE board and so. This facilitates a fairground of comparison to give candidates their ranks in the merit list that VITEEE exam announces. This is not very different from what exams like JEE Main and Advanced use too.
This statistical procedure of getting equal percentiles is employed by VIT to identify the percentile ranks for candidates so that scores on multiple forms with the same percentile rank are considered to be equivalent. Therefore, the percentile rank that VIT assigns, is a unique and invariant rank of the candidate in that group.
Explanatory example: A percentile rank, say 80 percentile rank shows that there is 80 percent of candidates scored below this score level and 20 percent above this test score. It’s simply a comparison with the other students. If you score 99 percentile in case, it doesn’t mean you got 99 percent of the questions right. For all you know, the maximum score achieved by anyone is 120, that’s 5 marks less than the full score. But percentile-wise that’s 100 percentile, and guess what, that’s not just one student who achieved 120, there might be dozens such. That’s why single points cost many ranks’ shift. If you want to see the discrete calculation of rank for VITEEE exam, you can check out the VIT official website.
Candidates are advised not to make assumptions and predictions of their score or rank based on their own estimates of raw scores.
If your basic concepts are clear you can easily obtain really good rank in VITEEE 2019, remember that.